In a little over a month my fiancee Mitch and I, along with 42 of our family and friends will be having a dance party on our own private beach in Mexico. The beach is Las Caletas, just south of Puerto Vallarta. Reason for the party? Our wedding.
I’m super excited, and this week we finalized the menu. It will be a buffet and when I received the e-mail containing the final menu items it was like opening up a present on Christmas morning. I am not going to be one of those brides who doesn’t have time or doesn’t want to eat at her wedding. I plan to be first in line to get my eat on that day! I think it’s the one day I can call dibbs on that and get away with it.
I couldn’t wait so I wanted to share a few of the items I’m really excited about! Here are just a few of the dishes I cannot wait to dig into.
- fresh guacamole and tortilla chips (Can’t have a wedding in Mexico without some guac.)
- capresse Salad; tomato, mozzarella, basil pesto (Just because we’re in Mexico, it doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy a nice capresse.)
- ensalada russa (Russian potato salad. Despite the name, it is a popular latin dish and one of my favourites. It’s basically a potato salad with added extras, there are many variations of it. My mom’s version included beets.)
- grilled angus flank steak
- grilled fish fillet (in a spicy sauce)
- sauteed shrimp in white wine sauce
- grilled cactus leaves (yes please!)
- freshly made corn tortillas (a staple in latin homes).
- tequila-scented flan (Tequila. Flan. Need I say more?)
- tiramisu (Again, why not?)
- arroz con leche (Rice pudding. One taste alone provokes hours of childhood memories for me…Find an authentic recipe for the arroz con leche pictured at right (translated by google) here.)
- Mexican coffee and kahlua
There will also be plenty of tequila, Mexican beer, margaritas, michelada’s, and ron (rum) punches flowing around.
My mother passed away 5 years ago so a menu reminiscent of the foods she used to cook is a beautiful way for me to feel her presence with me on that day.
Read more about my destination wedding-planning process on the Weddings in Winnipeg blog.