After a rainy week the sun finally came out triggering a sudden urge for cool summer salads for me. I felt like something sweet and savoury and I had a pineapple laying around so I tossed a few things into a bowl and ta-daa!
It was too good not to share and there were a few things in particular about it I wanted to share:
1) I knew I wanted to use canola oil because of its mild taste (I didn’t want the oil to overpower the other awesome flavours going on in this salad) and I had this bottle sample of cold pressed canola oil that I received from Canola Eat Well so I decided to test it out. Loved it!
2) I wanted it to be a little sweet, which the pineapple was but I also added a little agave syrup.
3) I was in the mood for a little spice so I added some chilli flakes. The combination of flakes and cumin is what make this salad!
- 2 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- freshly squeezed juice from half of one lime
- 1 tbsp cold pressed canola oil (or regular canola oil)
- 1 tsp agave syrup or honey
- dash of both cumin and red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herb of your choice (I used mint but basil, dill or cilantro would all work well too)
- Place the first three ingredients into a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, place the lime juice, canola oil and agave syrup. Mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the pineapple, red pepper and red onion mixture. Mix until everything is blended.
- Add a dash of cumin (not too much) and red pepper flakes according to taste.
- Chill and top with herbs before serving.
Serve as a side with salmon or chicken, in tacos, or top on top of leafy lettuce greens for a meal on its own.