This summer I’ve been experimenting with RumChata, an horchata-flavoured liquor. I’m not usually a fan of liquors but this one takes the cake (see what I did there?) It is just the right mix of alcohol and flavour and best of all tastes like real horchata – cinnamon-y and smooth.
Tres leches cake is one of my favourite things to make and the idea to use the RumChata came to me at the last minute. I “remixed” my go-to tres leches recipe. I omitted the vanilla and used RumChata instead of regular rum and the result was genius!
Stay tuned for more RumChata recipes!
HORCHATA TRES LECHES CAKE
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 oz.) condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1 oz RumChata
- Whipping cream, meringue or your favourite icing.
- Fruit (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease your baking pan (10″ to 12″ inches is ideal).
- In a bowl, mix flour and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, beat or whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Add the flour to the wet mixture.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool.
- Once cake has cooled poke holes into cake with a toothpick.
- Mix together all three milks.
- Add the RumChata. Stir.
- Pour the tres leches evenly over the cake.
- Place in refrigerator overnight or for a few hours until the cake has soaked up all the tres leches.
- Top with whipping cream (or other icing) and fruit.
Your cake is ready when it has a golden, crusty top.
Pierce holes all over the cake using a toothpick.
Pour the tres leches, including the RumChata over the cake. It will soak into the cake immediately.