I’ve always said combat the winter blahs with a festive spirit. Bring the tropics to yourself for a little motivation if only for a moment.
Try cooking up your favourite summer meal. Have a BBQ (or faux BBQ), or make a summery cocktail.
We all know the margarita is one of my favourites. I’m fortunate enough to spend some time in paradise this winter where I discovered this year’s margarita gem. The only catch is you must like cilantro!
Cilantro is one of the most used herbs in Latin American cooking. I am borderline obsessed with it and add it to EVERYTHING, especially this month where I have the fresh, fresh stuff at my disposal. You can make –chimol (chirmol?) and this year’s anti-January blahs remedy – a Cilantro Margarita!
I ordered it at a place called Si Senor in Punta Mita, Nayarit and fell in love!
So if you’re feeling cold and perhaps blue and you can’t get away to a tropical location, let it come to you in the form a of a delicious, foamy beverage.
- 2 ounces of fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces of agave or simple syrup
- 2 ounces of tequila
- Bunch of cilantro (about 20 sprigs)
- Course salt
- Lime wedges
- Squeeze lime onto lid of glass. Dip in the course salt for rimmer.
- Divide cilantro into two glasses. Press with a muddler.
- Fill shaker with lime juice, syrup and tequila. Add ice. Shake.
- Pour into two glasses and garnish with a wedge of lime.