The holidays, and winter months in general, are full of Christmas parties, potlucks, and other celebratory get togethers. This spinach and artichoke dip is my preferred go-to dish to bring along to parties. This warm, bubbly dish is always a welcome appetizer during the cold winter months. I got the recipe from a friend years ago and modified to its current version. People always ask me for the recipe, so what better time to share it?
It goes beautifully with pumpernickle bread, baguettes, cracker, pita or even vegetables.
SPINACH & ARTICHOKE DIP
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- 2 cups fresh, finely chopped spinach OR 1 package of frozen chopped spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 package of light cream cheese
- 1 cup of light mayo (Miracle Whip works best)
- 3/4 cup (6 0z) marinated artichokes, finely chopped
- 2 TBSP of oil from artichoke jar
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 TBSP of parmesan cheese (optional)
- Remove cream cheese from fridge to let it soften for about 1/2 hour.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add the spinach and minced garlic and cook until spinach is soft about 3-4 minutes. Set aside to let cool. (If using frozen spinach skip this step.)
- In a ovenproof bowl, mix together cream cheese and mayo until well blended.
- Fold in the spinach and artichokes and mix.
- Add the oil from artichokes and lemon juice. Mix once more.
- Top with parmesan cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes. It done when bubbly on top.
- Serve warm with pumpernickle bread, crackers or veggies.